Thursday, September 10, 2009

DSP Recognition Week

This is from an article I wrote for the newsletter at work:

September 14th – 18th was recently designated by the U.S. Senate as National Direct Support Professional Week.

What is a Direct Support Professional?

DSP’s, as they are commonly referred, provide hands-on care to a wide range of individuals including people with developmental disabilities. DSP’s are the “hands, feet, and heart” of the direct service profession. DSP Recognition Week provides a unique opportunity to organize events, rally people and generally draw attention to the noble work of more than 3.2 million DSP’s in the United States.

I would also like to take this opportunity to share information on pending federal legislation, the Direct Support Professionals Fairness and Security Act, H.R. 868 in the U.S. House of Representatives that would provide options to states for increasing wages for DSP’s. I encourage you to visit http://www.youneedtoknowme.org to learn more. I also encourage you to contact your U.S. Representative to request co-sponsorship of this important bill. Contact information for your policy maker can be found on http://www.house.gov/

*****************************************************

This subject is very near and dear to my heart. I got through college first working as a DSP, later supervising DSP's and at my current job, I train DSP's. I have been blessed to work along side some amazing people providing services and supports to people. These people unselfishly give so much. My experiences have made me a better person. It is time to give recognition to this PROFESSION!


0 comments: