Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Great Mouse Massacre


Those of you on Facebook have already heard this story but I have to share it here too for those of you who aren't.

Sunday, we went to Petco to get some flea treatment for our new dog, Donnie Barko. His name is really irrelevant to this story but I like saying it. Anyway, while there, Kevin decided that he needed some pet mice, three in fact, one for him, one for Kate and one for Kaelyn. I said no but the pouting and whining wore me down, all from Kevin, I might add. He picks out a fancy cage with running wheel and multiple levels along with a fancy price tag. Good thing the mice only cost $2.79 apiece! I consented to the purchase with the exclamation that I would have nothing to do with these critters.

A side note, Kevin told me yesterday, that when he was having the clerk get the mice out for him, the clerk asked him if the mice were "feeders". Kevin said he was standing there with the fancy cage in his hand when he asked that. Kevin said he was thinking "Yes, we like our feeder mice to be really happy before they become lunch." We had a good laugh about this yesterday. A little foreshadowing here.

So we have all been fascinated by the antics of the mice family all week. The three mice recipients talked long and hard before deciding on their names. Kevin's mouse became Willard, Kaelyn named hers Agent Jaurez and Kate chose, what else? Kate. Despite running on their wheel all night and stinking to high heaven, they were really cute to watch.

Kevin called me this morning and says he has bad news. He then proceeds to tell me he was laying in bed when he heard a crash. He found that our cat Sam Henry had jumped up and knocked the fancy cage off the computer armoire and then proceeded to have a tasty snack of Willard and Kate Mouse. We think Agent Juarez got away. That or he was fully eaten. Kevin was near tears and I really dont' want to have this conversation with the girls when I get home. Each morning this week, the first thing they did was run and look at the mice and comment on what they were doing. It will be a sad night in our house tonight. Luckily I have time to come up with a good story before then.

Like they left home to seek their fortunes.







0 comments: