Monday, January 19, 2009

House Tour Post One

I am about to embark on my most involved blog project to date. I guess it's also my first blog project as well. Over the next few weeks, or months, I am going to post a house tour. I love my home and want to share it.

We're not entirely sure of the age of our house but is around ninety years old. I will write a post someday soon about what I know of the house's history.

First on the tour is the dining room, located smack dab in the middle of the house.

The most important thing in the dining room is the dining room table. I bought this table in 1993 and it has made many moves with me...more then I can count. My dining room is decorated in blue and yellow. My favorite flower is a blue hydrangea and that was the inspiration for my room. The picture that hangs on the opposite wall was from Home Interiors. I saw it in a catalog and had to have it. It was years before I would have a dining room to hang it but I hung on to it until I did.

The dining room table again. That is a bowl with lemons on it. The table cloth I just got today at Artichoke Annie's in Columbia. It is somewhat difficult to find stuff in yellow and blue. I am now on the hunt for a rug to go under the table. We bought our house in 2005 and shortly after I bought this plaid wallpaper. Last Christmas, I mentioned it to my mother-in-law and the next thing I knew we were painting and wallpapering. I love the room now. The yellow is so warm and sunshiney good.


The china cabinet is built in. It holds a lot of stuff. The blue and white plates are Currier and Ives and we have an entire set that belonged to Kevin's grandparents. There is a lot of other odds and ends in there that I have collected over the years. On top is my Fiesta Ware collection.

This wall is a hodge podge that has never come together for me. The silver tree picture frame on the right was a gift from Woodhaven for my tenth anniversary of working there. I haven't put any pictures in it yet. The white shelf kind of hides the thermostats.

This is the opposite wall of the one above and is an outside wall. The black cabinet houses Kevin's Compaq computer that he refuses to get rid of despite it being over a decade old. The picture of the girls is one taken Christmas 2006. They were tired of having their pictures taken and I just loved the expressions on their faces. The blue rooster I fell in love with at Hobby Lobby but he was expensive so I had to wait for one of their 50% off sales. The writing on the wall to the right reads "Having someone to love is Family. Having somewhere to go is Home. Having both is a Blessing." It's one of those rub-off quotes. The blue oval above it is a ceramic plaque that reads "First Star to the right and straight on til morning." My sister gave it to me and it means the world to me. I love Tinkerbell and Peter Pan! The cobalt blue vase my other sister gave to me.

This table sits in front of the window, obviously. There are different family pictures on there. The lamp Kevin gave me for Valentines Day last year. Kevin's Dad made the table.



This cute little table I got at an antique store in Columbia. It's a phone stand and has built in magazine holders on the sides. The paint is worn and it is very shabby chic! There is a vase of hydrangeas on the table and some more family pictures. It also holds the phone and what looks to be a milltion phonebooks. Note to self: throw out some phone books! The doorway to the right leads to the kitchen.



This picture shows the hard wood floors that are newly refinished. It also shows Kate.


This plant is one I have been trying to kill due to neglect but that Kevin is now saving. I did buy the pretty blue watering thing and stuck it in there. The plant does seem happier now. It is serious need of more dirt. I think it got knocked over one too many times.

This is the last shot of the dining room looking back into the living room. The doorway on the left goes into the office area. The first door on the right goes upstairs and the second door goes into my closet. That door is nailed shut and I only use the other side. I'll explain more about that later.

So, that's my dining room. I hope you enjoyed our first stop on the home tour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather
Your home is beautiful. You have always been so good at decorating and making your house feel homey.
I miss talking to you and being around friends like the good old Woodhaven days. Its funny how you look back at a time that you thought was hard and realize that it was actually a good time. I guess that means I need to appreciate every day so that I never have regrets. Love ya.
Missy

Heather said...

Right back at ya Missy!