Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Serendipitous


I am not really sure if the following story is "serendipitous" but I like the word and it's not one you can use all that often so that is the title and I am sticking to it.

Here is the story: We took a rental car to Oklahoma. It was a really, really nice Buick Lucerne. It has heated seats, and a heated steering wheel and a million other buttons that I had fun playing with, but I digress. Kevin returned the car to Enterprise on Tuesday after supposedly unloading it. I coudln't find my check book Tuesday morning and I needed to pay our babysitter but I was in a hurry so grabbed a new set of checks, made the payment and went on to work. I didn't think another thing about it.

Until Saturday. My mom called me and asked if I had ever found my check book. I said no, but that I hadn't really looked for it and that I was sure it was around here somewhere. She replied "I don't think so". It seems that my babysitter had called her and told her that when they had went to return THEIR rental car, she had checked the glove box and lo and behold, my check book was in there. That is more than a coincidence! Serendipitous, I tell ya!

We live in a small town of 200 people, about 40 miles from the Enterprise rental place. There are three Enterprise rental places in Columbia that she could have went to. What really are the chances that she would rent the same car, immediately after we did, and then not only know who I was, but someone that she sees every day. Strange...enter freaky Twilight Zone music here...do do do do, do, do, do do.

She told me yesterday that it was just by luck that she even had that car. She said they already were doing paperwork on another car, when she happened to ask about the Buick's. There were five of them on the lot, and she was told she could upgrade for an extra $3 a day. They popped the trunk on this one to show her how much room it had, then told her to pick the color. She really liked the white, thought about the purple for a second, then just went with the one with the trunk up.

Regardless, I was so happy to know that my check book was home safe and sound, even though I didn't know it was missing.

1 comments:

Scott said...

Wow! What a good thing your friend got the car and not someone else! That could have been a mess!

Enterprise must have bought a bunch of these b/c I'm driving one too...lol! I rented it about three weeks ago just to get me around till I could go shopping for a new vehicle (my damn engine blew :() and haven't wanted to give it back. They are really nice.