Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back to Work

I got a call this morning at 7:41 am from Kaelyn's school wanting to know if I could substitute teach the 1st grade class today. Mom and Dad agreed to watch Kate so off Kaelyn and I went to school. Kaelyn was upset that I was going to work at her school but not in her classroom.

It was a good day. It felt a little strange at first but I was helped tremendously but the aide in the classroom. I grew more comfortable as the day wore on. The first graders were really cute and fun. I had to stop myself from laughing at a lot of the things they said. One boy wanted to share the underwear he had in his backpack for show and tell. I'm not sure why (and probably don't want to know why) he had underwear in his backback. The aide told him that was inappropriate but I couldn't help to giggle.

A little girl with gorgeous red hair and curls had writer's block during the Writing Workshop part of the day. She called me over to her table and asked for advice on what to write. I tried several suggestions to no avail. Trying to prompt her, I asked her what she did after school, she said "nothing, just get off the bus and go to bed". I asked her about her siblings, she said she had one brother but he was too boring to write about. It didn't sound like her life was too exciting either. Surprisingly, it was the boys who really spend significant time writing.

We read books, talked about the calendar in math, worked on handwriting, did phonics centers, social studies, made a trip to the library, had lunch and recess and let me tell you, by 3:15, I was worn out!

1 comments:

Scott said...

That sounds like so much fun!

And he wasnted to show his underware....how funny!