Monday, February 09, 2009

The Hunter

Long time readers of this blog (all two of you) will know that I am fascinated by the hunting instincts of our cat, Sam Henry. I am a lifelong dog person due to my mother's severe hatred of cats. It has taken my awhile to warm up to Sam but I am. Every night when the house is quiet, he comes and lays on my chest and sleeps. So sweet!

I don't know if it is his presence or what, but I have not seen one mouse this winter. This is the first time that has happened in the four winters we have been here. I even think it is cute that he leaves his prey on the porch for us to show he is earning his keep.

Until yesterday. Kevin called me out to show me that Sam Henry had left a dead squirrel in the front of the house. Kevin was amazed that Sam Henry had killed the squirrel! Mr. Squirrel was bigger than he is. But wait a minute...that dead squirrel looks familiar. Kaelyn and I had seen him laying in the neighbor's yard the day before when we were taking a walk. Sam Henry had just drug Mr. Squirrel home to earn some praise and hadn't done the killing at all.


I guess that's a good thing. Except now the girls want to add Mr. Squirrel to our rapidly growing pet cemetary in the back yard. And have a Squirrely funeral. I wonder if Sam Henry will come.


I'll spare you the grisly crime scene photos of Mr. Squirrel and share a picture of the little hunter being loved up by his girls.



0 comments: